MOZaic is constantly in need of volunteers who can come help with the following projects and or activities:
- Children’s ministry:
- helping with the weekly children’s ministry in Manjacaze
- help us develop children’s ministry materials,
- assist to train children’s workers during seminars,
- help develop vegetable gardens for orphans,
- Assist local Sunday school teachers with creative ideas.
- Help with research at out resource centre (plants, soil fertility, nutrition),
- Help develop the seedbank
- help us expand our plant varieties,
- Work alongside and help teach and assist our local agriculture monitor,
- help teach food security solutions in rural communities,
- hands-on assistance to expand the nutrition project for people living with HIV and orphans,
- help teach nutrition and plants at local hospital, work alongside hospital staff to maintain the hospitals garden, help develop perennial vegetable gardens and health posts in the district (36 in total)
- help facilitate two annual agriculture conferances
- help with grafting and multiplying and distributing fruit tree varieties to more communities,
- Help teach agriculture techniques to improve soil fertility and production.
- Capacity building:
- Help teach local congregation to manage church funds.
- Help local congregations identify needs in their community,
- assist them with project planning,
- help them develop a budget,
- Assist with project implementation and evaluation.
- Help teach business skills to local church leaders and assist them in developing their business to sustain their families.
- Help with the development of our training facilities,
- help with the construction of the church facility in Panda,
- help with the construction of several new churches in rural areas,
- Help with the construction of the community centre in Machaila.
- Help with maintenance of Mozaic’s infrastructure
- Water security:
- MOZaic has a manual drill rig and with the help of a volunteer we will be able to drill more wells for communities and expand the nutrition project faster..
- This will require to purchase the PVC in Maputo, transporting the materials to the drilling site, coordinate the drilling team and assist the drilling team when they face difficulties and help the assemble a rope and washer pump.
- Outreach facilitator:
With the growing amount of outreaching coming got Mozambique, there is a need for a person to assist with:
- Joining Gerhard when meeting with the community leaders regarding needs in the community
- Be familiar with the community, resources, key people and history.
- Assist with purchasing materials for the outreach
- Meet with the outreach team to discuss outreach activities, and camping logistics
- Assist with coordinating the outreach (translators, materials, time schedules, vehicles, infrastructure, tools, sound systems, etc)
- Technical skills: MOZaic always require people with certain technical skills to assist with training of staff, or community members or church groups. The following are areas of need:
- Welding skills
- Sewing skills
- Mechanical skills
- Carpentry skills
- Computer skills
- There are numerous other needs in the communities and we cannot be everything to everybody, if you have a passion and skills for a certain need, there are always ways we can create opportunity for a new ministry or project.
Long term volunteers are required to:
- Apply for a work permit, MOZaic can assist with all the documentation.
- Learn Shangaan or Portuguese to be able to communicate with Mozambicans. Most men speak Portuguese, so does government and most church leaders we work with. Children learn Portuguese in school, but in rural areas, Shangaan only is spoken by woman and the majority of men. Portuguese courses are available in Maputo or home study courses can be purchased at most book stores.
- Live with a Mozambican family for 4 weeks before moving into Mozaic’s facilities. This helps with exposure to local culture, language and establishes relationships with the community.
- Fill in an application form with a recommendation from your sending church.
- Use malaria prophylaxes throughout your stay in Mozambique
- Support themselves financially throughout their stay, but can eat from the garden and help out with production during the year.
MOZaic can unfortunately not host youth who just finished school. To obtain a yearlong work permit volunteers need a college or university certificate to confirm your training in order to obtain a working visa.
We have accommodations for short term volunteers in the likes of a reed house and or tents, with beds and mosquito nets and a fully equipped kitchen, pit toilet, outside showers and night guard on the property. We might also rent a house to host long term volunteers.
Most food requirement s can be bought in Manjacaze town, there is a local market with fresh vegetable and fruits. The town also has a bank, atm and garage, electricity and internet.